These magnificent pencil sculptures are made by a Russian artist Salavat Fidai. Two years ago, he quit his high-paying executive job and became a freelance artist. His journey begun as a creative experiment and has grown into a large signature project “Carved pencils” that became popular around the world.
Fidai says “It takes six to 12 hours of work for an average statue. Complicated models take two to three days, in some cases [I even use] a microscope for the tiniest details.”
I remember once being amazed at those vendors at the mall who write your name on a grain of rice. But those guys have nothing on Fidai.
As soon as you see his work, you’ll see why.
1. These incredible interlocking hearts
2. This meticulously detailed child
3. “Thumbs up” to this one
4. The tiniest and coolest horse you’ve ever seen
5. Lock and key
6. This rockin’ guitar
7. The Dark Knight
8. A moonwalker and the moon
9. A terrifyingly intricate reptile
10. Wall-E! (Fidai said this one is his favorite.)
11. This talented elephant
12. The highly under-appreciated Rango
13. And these spooky stacked skulls